Sunday, July 29, 2018

Painting Portraits for the Soul


Last minute plans to accompany my friend last night to a Wine and Design, paint and sip session. I have always said that I don't have a drawing or painting bone in my body and if I ever did attend one of these sessions I would probably just drink while everyone else painted. Or if I did paint it would more than likely end up in a drawer at most hanging in my closet! 
I ventured out last night and decided to really try it. It was definitely a cute image to paint and in my head I contemplated that if it did turn out remotely close to being decent I would hang it in my hallway on the empty nail next to my coat rack... I have been meaning to buy something to put in that spot every since I took the Christmas decoration down off the now empty nail at the end of January... no judging.. I got busy and in my opinion the Christmas season is just too short anyhow. 
Anyway it sure was an intense evening and I thought we would definitely have a lot more time to sip and snack then we did... we were so engrossed in the task of painting these canvases that we rarely spoke many words to each other. One thing I did hear when someone spoke and this was more often then not as the 2 + hours of painting occurred, was how many of the 15 women that were there, including myself, praised someone else's progress, yet put down their own. Phrases, like "oh wow that looks great" " I wished my flowers looked as good as yours" "your painting is definitely the best",  "wow yours is pretty, I wished I could paint like you", "I could maybe give this to my mom,  like when I was in school" "I suck at painting". You get my gist! 
We are always our own worst critic! So funny how we perceive ourselves compared to what others truly think of us and how truly non-judgmental and supportive of others most people really are! 
Not only did all the ladies I encountered paint good looking art, 11/15 of them had never came to one of these painting classes before! 
How amazing to see how you can really do something when you put your mind to it and with a little instruction, even if you at first had your doubts. Also, from this it was plain for me to see that each woman no matter how critical of their own piece of art work, was the first to cheer on their friend  and or compliment the other women there without blinking an eye. Believe me, I walked away with more than a canvas. 
The end results concluded that we are all unique individuals with different tastes, different likes and different talents yet a little paint and fellowship brought us all a little encouragement and compliments for a fun night out, that some may remember for a long time to come.
Remember:  
"you is smart" "you is kind""you is important"
Embrace your journey in life, none of us are handed the same one. Stop comparing yourself to everyone else, none of us are perfect, no matter how someone looks on the surface, we all have some insecurities inside and probably more insecurities than we share with others. Stop negative talking yourself. Be the best YOU! Flaws make us human- let everything else go and enjoy YOUR life, you were only assigned one. 
You are fearfully and wonderfully made, your works are wonderful. -Psalms 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment