Friday, October 18, 2013

Give What you Need

Coming back from a 2 week vacation where my son had mommy and daddy EVERY day, back to a friend's passing, a hectic schedule, the daily grind, a little allergy/cold episode for both mommy and Paxton is enough to throw you off, but not necessarily a good excuse for your behavior. On Monday at preschool pick up I got the first negative report of the year about my son's behavior. This is enough to make any mother uncomfortable especially with months of good reports, and as a mother we always seem to take responsibility for our children's actions as a reflection of how well we are "mothering"! No treat was received that day from the teacher and trying to talk to a 4 year old like an adult regarding his behavior and mommy and daddy's disappointment in how he chose to conduct himself, is often overwhelming for a child. Mixing it with a little praise for the things that he does do well, I think helps little ones know that everything they do isn't bad, and encourages them to keep on doing the things that you are proud of. It has been a long week, getting back into the swing of things, dealing with emotions, grief, issues that arise with work, family activities and misbehaviors but I think we will all recover. Below is a link to a fellow blogger who just had the right words that I needed to hear this morning! Give What you Need she says! Our comfort comes to us in those that can share their similar experiences. I lost a dear friend this past week who was my "go to" mom when I felt doubt in my abilities to be a good mother. She seemed like the model mother with respectful kids that listened to her all the time, but in reality she was just a mom doing her best who went through many similar hair pulling, lock myself in a closet, needing Calgon to take her away situations just like me! I know that the days are gone that I can pick up the phone and call her to ease my stresses, say the right thing and calm my spirit. I do know however that in carrying on and sharing my stories of motherhood, stress and "losing it" may help other mom's going through the same or similar situations find their inner peace and sharing will help talk me through mine! GIVE WHAT YOU NEED!

No comments:

Post a Comment