Sunday, February 26, 2023

But did you die? Enjoy the journey!

 


“But did you die?”

Back in November I organized a girl’s trip to see my Country Artist crush, Eric Burgett- (Love it All Goodbye and some other great songs) -when I say crush yes, he is good looking, but his music speaks to me and the relationship he portrays on IG and FB with his wife and how much she means to him is so refreshing. These days so many people tend to take others for granted or lose out on romance in a relationship to focus on the hook up portion of it. I haven’t dated in a long time but from what I have seen a lot of my girlfriends go through the pursuit doesn’t seem to have as much effort as it once did and what I have dabbled in thus far in the last few months the effort is lacking. I think too many girls tend to settle for what they can get instead of waiting for what they are worth. I get sometimes as women we lack patience and just want everything to fall into place but focusing more on the journey than the outcome can seriously put us in a better place to receive what we deserve.

Our trip came together and what originally started as asking 4 other girls, one who didn’t go because she had been out of town the previous weekend, another that had something come up at the last minute and she canceled and one girl who happened to be in town and went instead turned out to be an epic trip. The 4 of us drove to Vegas on a Thursday night and rented an Air b n b. All 5 of these girls are my friends and I have a different bond and relationship with all of them. But this specific group of 4 of us seemed to form a bond together that could never be replaced or interrupted. Sometimes you can get a group of girls together who all know each other but through 1 mutual friend and not everyone gets along, understands or is fulfilled by the group as a whole. This particular group just fit.

For those of you who know me well enough, or have ever been in a car with me, you know that I can get you there safely, barely, “but did you die?” So that was the motto of our 1st trip, along with a bunch of other coin phrases that I will not bore you with because you simply weren’t there and it wouldn’t be as funny. This particular phrase has applied to a lot of different situations that the 4 of us have been through, talked about, experienced and lived over the last 3 months since our 1st trip. Sometimes serious, sometimes funny, and most definitely eye opening in some cases as we each ride our own roller coaster of life toward the path of our future, separate, but with the support of one another. No judging, no lecturing, a lot of crying, laughing, and most importantly fun.  

We just got back from our 2nd Epic Trip to Fort Worth Texas last week. Again another fun-filled trip complete with a Historic Haunted Brothel Hotel experience where we were able to get away from our everyday lives, aware of but partially removed from our responsibilities back home, able to let loose, have fun and maybe do a stupid thing or two… like someone losing their phone the very first night and guess what Jinn isn’t the best driver either so there is that…” but did you die?”  Haha! Refreshing that I wasn’t the only one who is easily distracted while driving. We cried again, laughed, and most importantly had fun! We renewed each other’s spirits, had some eye-opening experiences, and came back ready to tackle whatever it is that we need to work on the most. Just being around other girls who may be going through similar feelings but different situations, in such close quarters, with absolutely no judgement, is enough to help you continue with your own journey, battles and triumphs alike when you return home.

During our visit we happened to be at a little outdoor bar live music venue and a lady the table over from us was wearing a hat that said, “but did you die.”  Of course we had to go up and strike up a conversation, she had ordered it online and we swapped stories. As we headed to the airport on Monday we stopped at a little Indie town for some shopping and drinks. The minute we walked in the store the first tee shirt I saw said “But did you die.” It was a basic boring black with just white letters so I asked the owner if he had hats. They did, the ones that you can remove the Velcro patch and have any saying you wanted. They happened to be out of that patch when I noticed a hoodie that had the same saying on it. If you know me well I could probably own as many hoodies as I do cowboy boots. I love hoodies. So we each bought one because well, why not it seals the pack.

Fast forward to Tuesday when I woke up and put said hoodie on for the day, it was chilly in Florence, I just got back from a 4-day trip where I was renewed but exhausted and just wanted to be comfortable. As I sifted through all the things I had to do that day I realized I had my grief share group that night that I facilitate at one of the local churches and I literally just laughed out loud. I thought to myself, can you imagine what in the world those people would be thinking if I showed up in that hoodie to our group. Some of those people are so new into their grief that the appropriateness may have been lacking for them to think it was as funny as I did, especially since they don’t know the context or the backstory of it. So, I changed.

You could take that saying in a lot of different contexts just by your tone of voice, and someone who just reads it could interpret it in a lot of different ways.  Funny how sometimes what we intend something to sound like when we express it someone could totally take another way. This is why again I stress communication is so important, texts and emails can be totally taken out of context, tone is absent, and without an explanation it could be a disaster.   I then began to think to myself, Dani, you just lost your husband a year and a half ago, and that saying never once crossed my mind to be anything other than what our girls trip made it to be… a funny saying that we can get through all of life’s struggles, twists, turns and sometimes barely hanging on, but we are still here, living our life, hopefully to the fullest. Each day is a blessing. It made me truly reflect on the saying in my own situation. “But did you die? “I did not, just yet. So, I need to embrace every moment, learn from my mistakes, be a better person than I was the day before and truly enjoy and embrace my journey. I am still here for a reason and not everyone has been given that chance to live longer so I feel it is my duty still being here, to bring light to those around me, share my experiences to give hope to others to keep going, laugh at life and accept that we are all going to die someday, so if we have the opportunity to say… “but did you die”  we must still have something important to do here, take charge of your life and make it count.

 

7 rules of life

1.       Let it go- never ruin a good day by thinking about a bad yesterday.

2.       Ignore them- don’t listen to other people. Live a life that is empowering to you.

3.       Give it time- time heals everything if you embrace it.

4.       Don’t compare- the only person you should try to beat is who you were yesterday.

5.       Stay calm- it is okay not to have everything figured out. In time you will get there.

6.       It’s on you- only you are in charge of your own happiness.

7.       Smile- life is short, enjoy it while you have it.

No comments:

Post a Comment