Monday, August 21, 2023

Big Dreams, Bad Ass Moms, Confidence, and Silver Linings.

 


Have you ever been so excited about something, and it doesn’t turn out as you expect or plan? Happens all the time, right? Or at least more often than we hope for. And yet, somehow, we again and again plan, prepare, and expect the best.  When we allow ourselves to get super disappointed instead of finding good in any situation we are living in a false sense of perfection. If we can find the good, learn the lesson, or gain from the experience we can be equipped to handle the next situation and accept that sometimes disappointments happen, things don’t go right, or we find ourselves in a bind. I try my hardest to stop myself and find a silver lining instead of allowing it to affect my mood or my demeanor, I may not always succeed at first, but I try. Which can ultimately cause a downward spiral of negativity in any one given day, week, or year if we put too much emphasis on any one negative event and allow it to overcome our sense of confidence, happiness, or pleasure. Placing myself in a state of gratitude rather than despair helps me to see the bigger picture and allows me to control how I am affected by negative circumstances surrounding me. Because this is life and shit happens!

If you have ever participated in something competitive, most if not all participants go into a game, match, or competition with the idea of winning in their mind! No one says, “I can’t wait to lose”, “I am excited to fail”, or “I look forward to being defeated”. And yet if you do lose, if you are not successful in your attempt to win or be on top that day you might get discouraged, be upset with your performance, or feel bummed for a while, however you use that loss to help you prepare for the next competition, work harder, or alter your approach and once again you go in believing that you will succeed and do better in the next one.

Guys, life is kind of the same concept. You will never win at everything you do, but you don’t ultimately just give up, instead you learn from each encounter how to improve as you go and strive to always do better every day. You are constantly educating yourself, adjusting, and readjusting to life and what it throws at you. You choose how you react, and you choose your attitude. Both of which can make or break you, but it is your choice.

I am listening to an audible by Lydia Fenet called Claim Your Confidence, (sidenote, I absolutely love listening to motivational books read by the author who wrote them, it makes me pay more attention to each word as I picture them talking directly to me and giving me the tools and secrets on how to improve something that I am looking to do, even if it might be slightly or even significantly different then their goals the basic concepts will apply)

I read her first book called The Most Powerful Woman in the Room is You a little over a year ago with take aways that have improved the way I look at a lot of the things I do. She is a highly sought out, very successful non-profit auctioneer in a male dominated industry. Not only is that powerful, but that is also confidence at its finest, probably not the easiest success story, however, it proves that if you really want something, don’t let anything discourage you or make you quit. You have the power within you to make it happen if you believe in yourself and take the necessary steps no matter who or what stands in your way. Overcoming obstacles is a huge factor in most success stories.  I guarantee she didn’t get there without getting shot down, being ridiculed, told she couldn’t do it, sleepless night and perhaps a lot of tears. But she stands before us today as an example of someone who chooses to take control of her life repeatedly for sake of the bigger picture and to be the writer of her own story.

This weekend was girl’s weekend! I have looked forward to this since our first trip a year ago. And even though each one of these girls has been a significant part of my life in one capacity or another for a couple years to over twenty years, as a group we collectively formed and share a bond that not only can’t be broken but it also can’t be joined. We have shared our lives, our goals, our fears, weaknesses, strengths, and temptations with one another and many memories have been built while we have been through life’s ups and downs together in full support even when we might be hard to love. This weekend started out as a birthday celebration for both girls whose birthdays are this month when we planned it. Going up to the cabin to relax and rest, have a little girl fun in an inexpensive but much needed getaway!

As bad ass working moms we all need a little girlfriend supported R&R from time to time to destress and bring us back to center. God knows we carry the weight of our families, our careers, our societal demands, and expectations on our shoulders daily and still come out on the other side the next day continually moving forward! Sometimes I wonder how, but we do it! Bad ass moms have this superpower. Unexpected life circumstances caused one of us to miss it entirely and the weekend itself was cut short due to life’s demands by others. The one thing that I stress over all is that even though we are there for each other through life’s thick and thin, we as individuals then our families come first.

Truly I wished I had learned this ten years ago or more; we cannot fully take care of others if we are not taking care of ourselves. No matter how much you might believe putting others first (as I was taught) is the selfless and ultimate goal you have been taught to live by. Yes, to an extent God wants us to serve others before ourselves but not to our detriment or complete breaking point of our bodies and mind. And I doubt He is encouraging doing each thing half-assed or not fully giving our attention to it because we have too many things on our plate to be effective at any one given thing. Can we multi-task, sure we can but everything has a cap.

I have learned even more in the last two years than the last ten that saying no to something gives me the control over what I can or cannot handle physically, mentally, or emotionally and allows me a better, healthier, and more productive outcome for the things that I know I excel at helping! You cannot be good at everything, but you owe it to yourself to be able to give 100% to the things that you are and feel like you are making a difference for. I would tell my younger self this as well as encourage those younger than me to live by it starting now, not 10 years from now.

I found myself with a day and a half to sit around with the choice to feel sorry for myself and the plans we had and be disappointed in the things that did not happen as we had planned. Or to control my thoughts to keep them positive, be grateful for the time we had spent and enjoyed, and take advantage of the remaining time to do the things that I needed to do around my cabin, sift through old stuff, clean out closets, throw away useless or broken items, shop for some upgrades to make my renters experience more enjoyable, read a new book, enjoy breakfast with some family members, have a little extra time to help another friend in need, and bask in the laughter and energy of the boys who came back from their time at grandpa’s (because they couldn’t be a part of girl’s weekend) and spent with me.

Part of you living the life you want to live is in harmony not balance. What is truly important to you? No one is perfect so stop trying to live the perfect life.  Imperfections are what make life interesting. Stop trying to please others, apologize for your choices, or ask others for permission to take care of yourself, your family, or your needs. Those people who are your tribe, your cheerleaders, and your support system will continue to participate in your journey no matter what life’s demands get in the way, so keep writing your story and those who are suppose to be in it will continue to be there with every step you take to improve your life, meet your needs, and take you to places that sometimes only you can imagine. Because frankly, as in every signed copy of my children’s book I write The possibilities of your imagination are endless, Dream Big!  love, Dani. I should add if you believe in yourself more than you believe in those who doubt you, you are one step ahead of your critics! Visualize yourself already being where you want to go and keep your eyes, your heart, and your mind focused on the bigger picture instead of all the obstacles along your way.

Don’t ask anyone permission to write your story, it is yours… but if you feel like you need permission, today I am giving it to you. Do the things that make you happy! Dream Big!

Taken from Drayton Farley’s song Dreamer

If I can dream forever than I never wanna die I was born to be a dreamer in this hard up kind of life. If I can dream forever go ahead and blind my eyes ‘cause these dreams are all I have and all these dreams I have are mine. Oh my, all these dreams I have are mine. So if I can dream forever then I never wanna die.. I was born to be a dreamer in this hard up kind of life.. If I can dream forever, go ahead and blind my eyes.. ‘cause these dreams are all I have and these dreams I have are mine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment