Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Don't judge a Soup by it's Title

Sitting at lunch with some friends yesterday in Show Low it was chilly and soup sounded so good. I had my heart set on soup and salad bar and when I asked the waitress what their soup of the day was, she immediately responded beef and potato. My first reaction was to curl up my nose and make a sort of "really" face. Which I know she totally went in the kitchen and mentioned! Not sure why I reacted in such a way, I am really not sure what I was hoping she would say. I associated beef broth, some chunks of meat, a few potatoes and some really big thick onions. Not really what I was craving, even though I wasn't sure what I was craving. Long story short the soup ended up being more like a roast that my mom used to make in the electric skillet, thick with beef chunks, potatoes (hers had carrots), we used to soak up the juice with buttered bread, YUM! Contrary to my initial reaction it was so good I had to request my mom to make her roast this week- I now can't wait. I even pointed out to the waitress before we left that the soup was far beyond what I imagined and really good. So I try not to be a very judgmental person. Whether it is judging people or things. EXCEPTION ALERT! I am very judgmental when it comes to books- If the cover doesn't have it, I have no interest! Probably not the best way to judge a book by its cover, but I do! You never know about a person or a thing until you really get to know or try it out. You never know what will transpire from trying something for the first time, learning a new skill, meeting a new person who you can build a lasting relationship with, or help you somehow progress in areas you need developing! Just remember next time you curl up your nose at a new thought, idea, person or suggestion, be open to the possibilities of what may develop from it, and try it! I did and it was amazingly good. This is something we teach our children on a daily basis, if you try it and don't like it don't have more, if you try it and you fail, at least you know you tried, you never know what may be amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment