Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Take Time

Time....It is what most people complain about not having enough of... We say it over and over again,"I wish there was more time in a day; I wished I had more time to do this or that, I wished I had time to finish a project, clean the house, get prepared for an event, relax, enjoy the weather, go on a trip..." The list goes on and on. What we often don't realize or take for granted is that we do have time if we make it. We are the ones who create our schedule, make our decisions and set our own expectations of what we need, want and the activities we do. Often people overload their schedules with many things to keep them busy or the things they feel are what they need to do, not only to be happy but to fulfill some sort of lack of something or status quo. Honestly how much or how little you involve yourself in, your children in, your family in... you are deciding what is necessary and what is not. Sometimes we have enough, but we are unable to accept what enough is or to see that enough is not always attached to a number, Enough is a way of thinking. Balancing life sometimes is most important. We may want to try, experience and shove as many commitments as we can into a day, a week, a month, a year or our lifetime. But the more we do the less time we have to enjoy the things that are most important to us. Paxton really wanted to play basketball for Paladin this summer as he really enjoyed last year, he most recently made the All-Star baseball team which will be further commitments of practice and tournaments and if God willing a Championship Series in California in July (where he has never been). Basketball games overlap practices if he has the opportunity to advance in baseball. He also wants to go to some summer baseball day camps. He wanted to know why he cannot do both. I advised him that doing too much will burn him out and he will not really get to enjoy other things during his 6 week summer break. As his last day of school is June 1 and his first day of 3rd grade will be July 24... the CA trip taking us all the way to the 18th.. meaning not much time to really just relax. He agreed that baseball would be his main focus this summer. I don't want him to not do and try the things he enjoys, but I want him to enjoy the things that he does. I also have decided to lessen my commitments for next year. I have decided that with most of my 4H Cloverbud group moving up to 9 year olds and preparing and competing for Fair in 2018... Paxton will still be too young. we will take a year off from this activity and re-evaluate what and if he wants to do with 4H when he is able to prepare for fair. I have always been one to be involved in anything and everything that interests me, as far back as I can remember. I love to be busy, I love to be a part of the action, to help in anything I can and the first to volunteer. I however as I age know that life is precious and the more involved I am in everything something or someone suffers for my lack of attention to it. My house is usually always clean, but my office is a mess leaving me less organized and more likely to make mistakes, my clients are attended to a the drop of a hat, yet my truck is dirty and messy and not ready for that client who asks me to pick them up... so therefore I rush around to get these things done, accomplished and "perfected" at the last minute causing myself more stress and anxiety trying to make it all perfect. These are all examples of trying to create a slower paced lifestyle, and training people that I can no longer drop everything I do all of the time. I do have a family, I do have more than one client at a time and although I would like to make each person in my life feel they are indeed #1.. most times it is physically impossible and emotionally draining. I create it based off how I respond, but I really need to step back, focus and slow down to most effectively respond to everyone. This is my new goal ( I guess not really new but renewed), to say Yes to the things that are most important, to relax more, enjoy my family and my activities... I am definitely blessed. As I pray every morning God will continue to send me the people who need my help the most and if I tune into my inner spirituality a little more, I will recognize who I am capable of helping and who will be emotionally draining to me and cause me more harm then good. Remember it is OK to say NO and take time for yourself. This is not selfish, it is preparing you to be happier and healthier and more sane so that you are refueled to help others. The one predominant duty is to find one's work and do it. Charlotte Perkins Gilman (you don't have to do it all!) Take Time to be friendly, it is the road to happiness. Take time to dream- it is hitching your wagon to a star. Take time to love and be loved- it is the privilege of the gods. Take time to look around- it is too short a day to be selfish. Take time to laugh- it is the music of the soul. Old English Prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment