Sunday, July 30, 2023

What the Hell is Hell’s itch?

 



I learned at a very young age how to calm myself down or overcome fear by visualization. As far back as I can remember my mom taught me how to do this to control any anxieties that I had. I also remember at a very young age being super ticklish on my feet and it used to drive me crazy, her dad, my Papa had me lay down on the couch and close my eyes he walked me through visualizing not being ticklish anymore it is hard to write about but I can remember all the things he said, the feelings that I experienced, and the fact that to this day, my feet are not ticklish, in fact most of my body isn’t except 1 spot that I never really bothered to work on. Near my hip, Steve knew it too and would occasionally make me laugh uncontrollably and you know what, laughter sometimes is the best stress reliever, so I welcomed it most of the time unless he just took it too far and wouldn’t stop, lol.

To this day it has helped me get through anxiety, stressful situations, pain, and tension as well as manifesting things that I desire. For example, I never get Novocain when I get my cavities filled and getting a tattoo is uncomfortable, but it never seems to hurt me. Concentrating and visualization when used correctly can be so powerful.

A few weekends ago we went up to the Cabin to take Aidan home and hang out with my sister-in-law and a couple of friends. Two days before, we went to the lake to Paddle and neither Paxton nor Aidan decided to apply sunblock. At almost 14 and 16 years old this Mama is tired of having to nag them. Needless to say, both of them broke out into little mini blisters on their shoulders and red on their back and neck. Paxton had me put some Aloe on the second night after it got to be too much. They knew they would experience a couple days of soreness before they peeled, it is what it is right!?

Anyway, fast forward to Friday night, I was making dinner for everyone, and Paxton decided to take a shower in my bathroom, he yelled at me from the bedroom. I went in there and he was dancing around the room in sort of a panic telling me that he felt like he had hundreds of fire ants crawling inside his back biting him and that he wanted to rip his skin off. We applied aloe, essential oils, oatmeal lotion, I made him take Benadryl and ibuprofen. He continued to lay down, sit up, stand up. I could clearly see he was miserable and didn’t really know what to do. I offered to take him to the hospital which he declined. After a little bit of time and reapplying things to his upper back (not the blistered shoulders) I made him lay down and we began the visualization that I knew so well. My kid has anxieties like what his dad and grandmother had, and I am determined that I am going to teach him how to control it and not take over his life as an adult. I have since he was a very young age been able to get him to calm down and a lot of times fall asleep using these techniques. He tends to like to fight me about it at first a little, but I will tell you it has worked every time, no matter the situation. This time was no different and within less than 20 minutes of talking him through his pain he was asleep.

I googled sun poisoning since I really wasn’t sure what was happening with him and came across the title “What is Hell’s itch?” Clicking on it thinking what a crazy name. To my surprise and comfort, it said “people describe it like fire ants biting you under your skin, wanting to rip your skin off and an uncontrollable itch that causes a stabbing pain.” Holy hell, seriously… what this is a thing? Apparently, it only happens in a very very small percentage of people, is often caused when the person goes to a higher elevation (we went from the valley to the Mountains) and it causes the nerve ending at the end of the sunburn to have this particular reaction. It can last on and off for up to 48 hours and is relieved by things such as Benadryl, Ibuprofen, oatmeal products and hydrocortisone. Wow! Really… Lucky for him when he woke up it was gone, and he did itch but never again had this feeling while we were there.

We enjoyed the rest of our stay, the boys had fun shooting, we relaxed, ate great food, us girls went paddleboarding at Show Low Lake, and we ended the weekend with the most fun game of Cards Against Humanity, 4 moms and two teenage boys! If you have ever played picture that. It was not only hilarious, but it was also so much fun, we played until 1 AM and I haven’t laughed so hard in I don’t remember how long. Sometimes being human, vulnerable, and your fun authentic self can strengthen a bond amongst people, I think this weekend proved to myself and to Paxton that even though I am his mom, I can be silly and have fun too.

Life can throw things at us that we least expect, we can get concerned, uptight and anxious about so many things and we can choose to let it take over our lives, our attitudes, and our minds. One thing we need to realize is we have more power over things than we give ourselves credit for. You can alter the frequency of your thoughts, you can align your beliefs and desires, you can heal yourself from a lot of things. God has given us the ability to have this power. You can be intentional with your focus. You can alter your state of mind and you can create a life full of things you desire, one visualization at a time. No circumstance or situation can take over unless you let it. Your vibration and internal state are your responsibility. Life happens, control your thoughts, and don’t let it break you.

No comments:

Post a Comment