Wednesday, December 7, 2011

frustration

So what did our parents do when we were kids. How in the world did we get by in the car for a trip or long drive let alone 30 minutes. I thought I had the routine lengthy drives (since we live out so far) down pat. Pop in a movie and I am good to go. Maybe an occasional "mom" or needing attention for a drink or to look at something but pretty much engrossed in his movie enough not to whine or bother me. Oh, but what happens when he is so used to this routine and the movie player stops working. The myriad of questions and talking doesn't stop, the whiny voice the persistent talking and then screaming if he doesn't get down or that he wants to "drive" mommy's car. I created a monster! UGH. So I magically slip on the CD player with a Disney CD, of which there are 27 songs and he only wants to listen to the ones where he hears Mickey's voice- which amounts to listening to the same 4 songs over and over again. Well then what happens when mommy's CD player becomes frozen on CD 4 out of 6 and you can not skip, move or eject the silly thing and it just won't play a song for anything. I think I decided that was about the time I really really needed a vacation away, from EVERYTHING! LOL! No seriously, how did we as kids go from practically no car seats and be able to entertain ourselves with toys in the back seat or looking out the window. I am so disappointed in myself for making the movie watching such a routine that when it isn't there the child doesn't understand why it isn't working and why mommy can't just fix it or go grab a new one at the store on the way home. There is no pleasing or reasoning with a 2 year old, who I have trained to watch a video when he is in my car. So I have decided that there must be some other way or avenue to break this habit but keep my sanity in the meantime while I re-train him to play with toys, look out the window or some other form of entertainment. I think that it is definitely doable it just make a few trips to re-train him and allow him to see that those things are not necessities, they obviously weren't for me and guess what I survived and so did my mom. 2 may be young for a person to truly understand the concept, but it sure is worth teaching that we can not and will not always get our way, and throwing a fit about it exhausts energy and really isn't worth the fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment