Thursday, December 1, 2011

Actively Listening

So I order a peppermint coffee with cream from the coffee cart at work yesterday, the guy proceeds to repeat my order and then I start talking with the person next to me no longer paying attention. The lady goes to ring me up and I hand her my debit card, before I realize she says $3.88 she has already swiped my card. I say to her, $3.88 your large coffee price on the menu says $1.95( which by the way is still way more expensive then circle K! lol) but nonetheless I am dumbfounded. I ask them why so much and the coffee cart guy says that I ordered a latte. A latte? Really? I nicely say, I ordered a peppermint coffee with cream and you repeated it back to me and even asked me if I wanted skim or whole milk... well actually I wanted cream, but I said 2% meaning for him to mix he skim and whole... Anyway, I said well I really just wanted coffee, how much is that, he said $1.95. I asked how I should have ordered it to get coffee and he seemed confused. I again mentioned that I didn't order a latte, and instead of saying oh I am sorry about that he proceeded to tell me the difference in price between espresso and plain coffee... um okay... anyhow, I nicely mentioned again that all I wanted was peppermint coffee, so the man (notice how I am not calling him the barista; far from it) says he will remake my coffee with a very agitated look on his face, like I should have just taken the latte and been happy with it, and the lady proceeds to dig through the tip jar to give me the difference between what she charged my card and a cup of coffee.
So not to be rude here, but I think if there was a little active listening involved in what I wanted maybe it wouldn't have leaded to frustration on any one's part. This is why I say, BE interested in what others have to say, Don't just ACT interested, it may make all the difference. Oh and did I mention this was the 2nd mistake the guy made in the very few times I have purchased coffee at this particular stand... I am thinking trend here.
But in all actuality I guess the blessing here is that I should be grateful that I have a job and a coffee cart in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment