Thursday, December 27, 2012

hearing for granted

Over the past few years my husband's grandmother, who is now 96 has been slowly losing her hearing. True for the past almost 15 years I have known her she has worn hearing aids however, they did help her be able to hear and carry on a conversation with us a lot more so than recently.
I had the pleasure of picking her up from my sister-in-laws last weekend and brought her out to see the lights in the neighborhood and our tree and decorations. We tried talking in the car a little but it was extremely hard.
Paxton got extremely frustrated from the back seat trying to "tell her something" He kept saying I want to tell Grammy something. I had to keep reminding him that she can't hear, and at 3 years old I don't think he gets it. He can hear, I am sure he wonders why everyone can't hear.
I had a babysitter growing up who had 2 other sisters and one of them was deaf, she occasionally watched me, she could talk with a muted tone and could hear to an extent but not really, and I always thought how hard that would be, but I guess that is what sign language is for, even when you see little kids that can't hear and it amazes me how awesome it is that they can communicate. But elderly and brittle hands is probably not the best time to pick up such forms of communication.
Paper and letters will have to be how we remain patient and calm trying to tell stories and explain things to her about what is going on in our lives. When I was working full time away from home for awhile there I would write her a letter and mail it to her of the things we had done over the past week. My sister-in-law suggested this to my husband and we thought it was a great idea. When my husband asked me the other night if I was still doing this and I have to admit I was not. We try to get over to see her with Paxton once a week, but true the communication when there is still tough, so the letters will now continue. I can't imagine how lonely it is to not share in the conversations around you, especially since you once could.
I left Paxton at home when I took her home that night and in the car she asked me questions but when I responded she couldn't really hear me and it was too dark to drive and look over at her so she could see my lips. She tries to answer based on what she thinks you have said to her. I nodded a lot.
On my way home by myself listening to Christmas Music I had time to really reflect on this.  A simple thing like Christmas music that I take for granted I will be able to hear every year, became a blessing to me. A woman for over 90 years was able to communicate and understand without things having to be written down for her until recently. I decided that was my cue to be reminded that things can be taken from you  in the blink of an eye or gradually and you will have to adapt, and may never have something that important to you again. Sometimes my kid whines, sometimes he talks a lot, sometimes he won't be quiet, and I get rather irritated wondering why he just can't be quiet,  but truly if I had my hearing taken from me I would be wishing I could hear those sounds again.

No comments:

Post a Comment