Thursday, January 5, 2017

Define Success

When I think about how success is defined I always wonder if what I consider success is what others consider success. What does success mean to me? What does it mean to you? Sometimes I get in a slump and wonder what am I scrambling around to do to be successful? What are my goals, are my actions lining up or am I off track? Do I need an adjustment to my mind set to be successful? Is having enough success? Do you have to win an award or fame to be considered successful? Does it matter if others view you as successful as long as you view yourself as such? Merriam-Webster's definition of success is "the fact of getting or achieving wealth, respect, or fame.: the correct or desired result of an attempt. : someone or something that is successful: a person or thing that succeeds." When I view others and contemplate what I think makes them successful it is definitely from my view point. I tend to view what they have, where they have come from and now are or how they are changing lives every day. As many books as I have read, webinars I have listened to, seminars I have been to and motivational experts I have admired I gauge what I feel is their success by what I see and hear. Mostly people might define success as how much money someone makes or wealth and possessions they acquire. Maybe they started out with nothing and built a huge empire. Then I wonder does success in the monetary aspect always equate to happiness? I see these actors/actresses/sports icons/politicians and such and sometimes they don't always seem happy, always chasing happiness. Are these people that I am viewing as successful defining success as I am viewing them as successful or does success take on a different meaning in their eyes? To me I define success not as the amount of money I collect, the things that I have, the awards that I have won, the amount of houses that I sold the books I have had published but as the amount of lives that I am able to touch on a continual basis and making a difference even to the smallest degree. Am I successful in my home life? Does my husband and son respect and admire me for my actions? Yes, money and wealth are great bonuses... that is how I pay my bills, have nice things and enjoy life... however I like the dictionary definition that states "success is the correct or desired result of an attempt"... my desired attempt is to help and serve others...if I can do this on a daily basis I am successful. Surround yourself with positive people today, strive to be a better you. Serve the Lord by serving others. And realize that success defined for you, may be completely different than how someone else views your success or even views their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment