Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Back to School Blues

Yesterday was my son's first day back to school after a long 16 day spring break! Even though we had a hectic 2 weeks and I was filled with the blessing of an abundance of business at the very same time, a boy who started out spring break with pink eye and urgent care, a terrible bout of allergies, multiple baseball camps, practices and a few games and LOTS of fishing... I enjoyed every minute of the juggle. Yesterday made me realize that when he is not in school I tend to be a much more calm, less stressed individual who really enjoys what I have. I can't say I even slept in at all on his break as I get up around 5:00 when my husband goes to work... but I did immensely enjoy the peacefulness of not being rushed in the morning to make the bell at his school. He of course on break didn't always sleep in, in fact most days he was up way before the time I had to drag him out of bed just to get awake and ready for his normal school routine. I am sure I am not the only parent who this happens to! A few early morning fishing trips, a lot of play time and family time was had... I can honestly say I love the form of year round school we have. 7 weeks in the summer, 2 at fall, 3 at Christmas and 2 at spring break, and all the normal holidays. It really breaks up the routine, we can enjoy some down or play time not worrying about school and homework but going back after the breaks is really a hard adjustment. Yesterday morning I was determined not to let it get the best of me. However, I felt myself slip back into cranky mommy mode as I tried to get him up for school, struggling with him not wanting to go, having to remind him repeatedly to get dressed, making breakfast, making his lunch for school, where are your shoes? feed the dogs! Turn the T.V. off and get your shoes and socks, brush your teeth (8 times), come let me fix your hair, going out to feed the animals, getting myself ready as I had an early appointment... then walking out the door to be reminded he had no water bottle, returning inside to make the water bottle to go back out and find him riding his scooter instead of in the truck buckled up ready to go.. my head spins and I spew out angrily because I am such an on time person that I hate for him or I to be late for ANYTHING. He has never been tardy and by goodness now is not the time to start. As we pull out of the driveway we pray on our way to school like every morning for his day, his teacher, his classmates, for him to be kind and nice to everyone and for him to focus and retain what he needs to learn. As we pull into the busy school and park, getting out of the truck is another chore, in my mind he must be the slowest, pokiest kid out there I swear. I wonder to myself if other mothers have this same struggle. I take something into the school bought at a garage sale over break for the PTA (I am the president) and run into 2 other PTA moms. We stand and chat in the middle of the hall as my son stands there irritated that he is ready to get to before school recess, he finally interrupts me and I remind him I am talking and he doesn't have to wait for me to walk him 25 more feet to the recess door. His look makes me irritated but I walk him anyway and he says as he is walking out the door "you made me miss recess" as I see a teacher on the playground out of the corner of my eye, I do the little pointer finger you better get your little butt back here NOW signal... he semi rolls his eyes and walks back into the hall. Then I proceed to tell him that he will not be disrespectful and talk to me like that. He had every opportunity to walk himself to recess and he did not! I was not holding him back and I will not take responsibility of his lack of recess that morning. He apologized although a little grumpily and I kissed him on the head as he made his way back out the door to line up with the other kids. Sure I was mad, but it made me realize that neither one of us were ready to get back into the school routine, both of us got 16 days worth of getting used to each other being around most of the time all day and both of us probably woke up a little cranky knowing it was time to go back to the school routine. Does that make it okay for us to have bad attitudes, absolutely not... but it does reflect how close we are and that spending time as a family is of great importance to build that bond where it is hard to be apart. I am truly blessed to be a Mom to such a loving caring individual that I am so grateful I was chosen to raise him. Yesterday after school we got home and I was out in my chicken coop feeding and filling up the water when he yelled at me to call or text our neighbor to see if everything was ok! I guess he heard her little girl (4 years old) screaming... when I called she was so touched that he was concerned.. I guess she got into some ants that were crawling all over her and biting her and scared her. When I let him know she was ok he was truly relieved.. I love this little boy with all my heart and pray that he stays as sweet as can be. Next time I am irritated or mad, I need to just breath, remain calm and remember these moments. I am going to try to breath in the mornings... to take a deep breath before I react to his lack of concern for our time schedule and utilize my kind, caring and positive attitude skills to create a non-hostel environment before school, to avoid setting a sour mood for his day! Positive or Negative mornings can truly stage the day and make or break the experience you have... A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1 NIV Be gentle when you are speaking to your kids... you are their example. - Dani The real art of conversation is not only to say the right thing at the right time but to leave unsaid the wrong thing at the tempting moment. - Dorothy Nevill

No comments:

Post a Comment