Friday, November 4, 2022

Moving Forward with Hiccups and A Red Cast




You know what hiccups are like, sometimes no matter what you do or what you try to get rid of them you just can’t shake them.  Sometimes you get frustrated and agitated because it’s like they’re never going to end. You may not see relief in sight.  

 

How many times have you gotten hiccups where they just sneak up on you and you’re not quite sure what you did for them to develop. But more than anything you just want them to go away. They’re not comfortable and not convenient! The longest case of hiccups was Charles Osborne from 1922 to 1990 68 straight years of hiccups. I couldn’t even imagine having hiccups for a whole day let alone 68 straight years. 

 

What causes hiccups is when you swallow too much air so even though we think sometimes they sneak up on you there an accumulation of too much air being swallowed at which time your diaphragm contracts, but your lungs fail to expand. I really do love the science behind things. 

 

To me grief is sort of like a case of the hiccups. Sometimes it sneaks up on you when you least expect it, sometimes it’s been building for a little while, but you don’t recognize the signs just like when you’re eating too fast you’re swallowing so much air because you are eating and drinking and socializing which causes you not to really think about what you are doing. Depending on the extent of your circumstances, grief’s side effects may only last a moment, or they could last for weeks at a time. Imagine living with those negative side-effects from grief continuously for 68 years of your life! No thank you! 


Unlike Mr. Osborne’s hiccups, most of us can control our mind, our thoughts, our self-care, self-talk, and our level of happiness despite grief. Our mind can make us weak, can make us sick, can pull us through, heal our bodies, and choose what it believes and how you talk to yourself. Your mind is the most powerful thing that you will ever own. The things that you say to your mind the things that you create in your mind are your own work of art. The best thing that you can do is talk kindly to yourself, give yourself grace, lift yourself up, and move forward with confidence that we all are struggling from some internal battle- choose to win yours. Free will and mind control are assets to be mastered when controlled in the most positive ways.

 

Yesterday morning was a struggle I woke up super late – 7:09 I haven’t slept that long in forever. We had 30 minutes to get Paxton awake and out the door for school. It didn’t quite go as smoothly as I would’ve liked. After quite a few arguments and realizing he was just going to be late, then accepting it, he insisted that he needed to eat breakfast although he probably eats breakfast two-three mornings out of the five a week generally, today had to be one of them. His hair wasn’t fixing right, he couldn’t find both his shoes and we were just arguing about everything.  He was delaying on purpose, and I could tell. We argued on the way to school instead of starting our morning off by praying which we normally do. The bickering was so heavy, and I had enough! I said some not so nice things and his long-awaited tears just flowed, bottom line he missed his dad and it had built up enough to explode. I knew this has been building up for a little over a week, but he never could pinpoint what he wanted to say and in order not to create scenarios in his head for him, I didn’t pry previously.  I would rather him organically tell me what is wrong.

 

I let him unload. The things that came out of his mouth are some of the same things that I have felt and I’m sure he has been having a hard time talking about. Sometimes we think shoving them deep in ourselves will make them go away or put somewhere we don’t have to face those fears or anxieties.  Of course, the first thing out of his mouth was WHY????????… But are we to know why… I am not certain that is part of this life on Earth, to try to figure everything out, no matter how hard we try or want to. Maybe we are simply not supposed to know why.

 

He proceeded to let me know that he was mad that his dad died so young, he was relatively healthy, mad at the doctors for not doing something sooner, or being able to fix him. That people with lots of other health issues were able to recover from Covid, why couldn’t his dad? He was mad that he couldn’t remember what the last thing that he and his dad had said to each other, or even when the last time they talked before Steve could no longer communicate with us was. All valid curiosities. I know what the last thing that Steve and I said to one another was, and for that I am grateful, I could play it over in my head and I have several times, but I don’t know what the last thing that Paxton and he said to each other was.

 

I want to say, and I hope, that it was I love you because I truly felt in those two weeks of his consciousness while he was in the hospital, that they made it a point to tell each other they love each other before they would hang up the phone. I remember Steve saying as a kid his dad never really said that he loved him. And so, he always made it a point to tell Paxton that he loves him. Steve’s dad loved him, but it just wasn’t verbalized in the way that Steve and Paxton shared.

 

Paxton emphasized the fact that he was mad that he couldn’t remember. And therefore, I think in this traumatic event that he went through he may have a little PTSD. We had a complete discussion as I drove around the neighborhood several times as he wasn’t feeling confident enough to walk into school with wet eyes. We discussed his feelings, we discussed the consequences of “what iffing” our situation, we discussed having to move forward and what his dad would or would not want him to think or do and how he would want him to treat other people and how he would want to be remembered and even though he isn’t here, which is his biggest challenge as a boy, he feels that he should be, and you know what kiddo? So, do I.

 

This afternoon I went to my monthly luncheon of powerful woman Realtors who ironically do not discuss real estate but gather for that extra connection, that deeper meaning into our hearts, souls and minds, the ones that make you think, make you vulnerable, make you aware, and show that you are human in turn making you a better Realtor. The hostess had an envelope of 14 questions that she randomly pulled out and handed to each of us. When I read mine, after the morning I had with Paxton, I was reminded that God divinely puts not only people, but things in our path for a reason at the right time.

 

My question was What is something that you would say to your father that you never said? How will/would it be received?  

Wow what a powerful question, with never a right or wrong answer. How appropriately placed in my hands to answer on this particular day. As most of my readers know my father died when I was 14 and having this experience as well as a mother who had to learn how to raise me on her own have both been situations that although not what I would wish upon anyone, I am grateful I had experienced to help me through what Paxton and I are now going through over the course of the last year +. Life is sort of funny that way. Prepping you for something without you even knowing it.

 

And by the way I answered that I would thank him, for what he taught me, the experiences that I had, and the traits that he passed on to me to help create who I am today and for me having to experience what I did, to be prepared for now.

 

I called Paxton on the way home to see how he was doing, he let me know he sat in his boat for over an hour talking to his dad about fishing. I was grinning on the other end and my heart was full.  I shared with him that I talk to Steve sometimes too when I am lying in bed or driving in the car by myself. I didn't for a really long time, but now sometimes it just feels right. 

 

This week ended with a brave little boy on his way to manhood, on top of what seemed like a tense and not so smooth week for both of us for various reasons. On Halloween night he broke his thumb playing football. Today we learned from Ortho that it was his growth plate and they had to put it back in place. I will let you form your own picture in your mind of how that went. He had a head full of fear and a body allowing his anxieties to creep in, but he allowed them to do it without numbing it first and he did so good. It took a little motherly calming and visionary skills and reassurance that it would be quick and back in place before he could even think about it.  I knew how much strength that took and how much he hurt, especially the throbbing afterward. 3 hours, one enormous red cast, a note to skip PE and heavy activities for the next 4 weeks, reassurance that he can still fish in the next 2 tournaments, a promise from the Physician’s Assistant that he will be clear in 4 weeks with a different cast to try out for school football, and be able to play without a cast in 8 weeks (just in time for the season to start) a visit to DQ, the rest of the day out of school, and hanging out with friends and he seems to be in good spirits!

 

Wouldn’t it just be great if we could wake up one morning and it was all just a crazy nightmare. But that is not how our lives were supposed to turn out. No matter how many what if scenario’s we can create in our head this is our life, Steve had an expiration date and this was our fate. Paxton can pull Steve from deep within him any time he wants to remember him, what he would suggest, recommend, or decide based on what he knows and remembers of him. He can be all the good things he remembers most about his dad. He can be confident that our happiness was important to Steve and still is and Steve would want for us to continue and carry out our happiness because just because his heart no longer beats ours can again. 

 

As some of you might know Danny Gokey was on American Idol several years ago as a contestant who when he shot the video for getting on the show his wife was battling an illness and struggling to stay alive. When he did the show, his wife had passed away, but he went through with it anyway and he became a very powerful Christian artist that I admire and respect. If you have the time, it’s six minutes long, but watch this video and listen to its powerful message. You too can move forward from whatever you have experienced. 


https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjR9uGpsJL7AhU_KEQIHeANBfYQ3yx6BAgeEAI&url=https%3A%2F%2Fm.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DeUHRDCYnFfg&usg=AOvVaw32CattP8sqRLU0sgVpRoYd

2 comments: