Monday, January 17, 2011

small things

"Often we allow ourselves to be upset by small things we should despise and forget. We lose many irreplaceable hours brooding over grievances that, in a year's time, will be forgotten by us and by everybody. No, let us devote our life to worthwhile actions and feelings, to great thoughts, real affections and enduring undertakings."

Andre Maurois
1885-1967, Writer

This quote really makes me think. I often allow little menial things really bother me or I read too much into something someone said or a gesture they used when speaking to me. I sometimes allow trivial nuisances bug me, that I really should just shake off and let go. By pointing these things out to other people I think may cause a far less desirable conclusion then biting my tongue and going about my business.
I take this quote to heart when I think of arguments that my mother and I or my husband and I get into, that days, sometimes hours later I really can't remember what it was about, and I surely can't remember the exact things said. So in all actuality they were only important in the heat of the moment, so were they really that important. Probably not. Did I gain something from bringing up past disappointments? Did it get me the results I desired or just more stress and headache? Probably the latter.
Sometimes I think I place too much stress on things that I think people are thinking about me, or through my own lack of self worth, confidence or what I think I may not deserve. I try to hard to make others happy, thinking it will in turn make me happy to see others prosper and then when I can't make them happy, I am not happy. So I have decided that I am going to stop trying so hard to make others happy, they truly can only make themselves happy and start accepting things as they are and just taking the journey, step by step and day by day to find my own true happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment