Friday, August 16, 2013

Key to staying calm

"Life is divided into three terms - that which was, which is, and which will be. Let us learn from the past to profit by the present, and from the present, to live better in the future." William Wordsworth My biggest lesson from the past to help profit my present and live better in my future (however, I will probably not master it) is learning that I cannot control everything. WOW THAT IS A NEW THOUGHT! Yesterday I had several things on my list to get to and although I would have liked to wrap them all up in a "convenient for me package", that is not usually how the day goes. I can plan as much as I can and things come up, the amount of time I think it should take to accomplish something doesn't or the quick trip I may need to take turns into a lot longer than anticipated. This seems to be the case on more occasions than not. When these things happen we have a few choices, turn around and try some other time, get upset and complain about something we cannot control or wait it out and finish the task. Yesterday I needed to go get a key made for a client and decided that Wal-Mart was probably my best and least expensive choice. I also had to return something. As I was at the courtesy counter and realized I didn't have the exact receipt I needed (only about 20 other ones) I just decided that instead of coming back at a later date or getting upset with myself for not being prepared, I would just get credit and use it towards another purchase in their store. 1 task down. I had broken the arm off of my awesome sunglass find from the Pinetop Wal-mart over 4th of July break and wanted to see if I could just buy another pair- cause at $5 it would probably be cheaper than buying the screw that was missing. Of course they didn't have the same pair or any decent pair for that matter at the cost of $5. They had decent ones for $10 or $12. Knowing that I am really not that careful with my sunglasses. I just walked away. I got to the automotive where they make keys and realized that I didn't have the key ring I had when I was standing at the courtesy counter that needed to be duplicated- (yes, the only key I could find that would fit this home, wouldn't you know it). I could have and at some point probably would have freaked out that now I had to pay a locksmith to come rekey the entire house, but at that point I chose not to. I proceeded back up to the counter calming praying that it would be there and that I didn't drop it somewhere in between and someone had already picked it up never again to be found by me. To my relief it was laying next to the credit card key paid where I took back my other item. YAY! I thanked the lady and then proceeded back to the automotive where there were, go figure, at 3:30PM in the afternoon, on a Thursday, 3 people in front of me also needing keys made... REALLY? So here is when I could have left, went somewhere else to have them made or just waited until it was my turn. I promised the client I would deliver them today. I chose to wait. 18 minutes later I had my keys in hand and started to walk away when I encountered a past client that talked to me for about the next 10 (where was she when I was bored waiting in line for almost 20 minutes?) lol... anyway I remained calm throughout all the little things that I would have normally stressed out about taking so long, remained my level of happy thoughts and was able to come home not having done everything but feeling a lot more in control of my thoughts, my day and my attitude. I felt like my evening went more smoothly, I was less irritated than normal and able to enjoy dinner, my child and my night. There will always be more time tomorrow to do what is needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment