Saturday, August 3, 2013

Smell "Your" Roses

I am once again faced with a dear friend in a battle for her life. I know that in my heart it is a matter of time before the good Lord takes her home to a better place. She means a lot to a lot of people. She is a stronghold, a family tie, a women that I have known for the last 15 years who did everything she had to in order to provide and survive. So often I question "why" why certain people who are kind and caring, put other's, their family first, do good to all and are the ones who suffer here on earth or that we lose first. They may be the family stronghold, the breadwinners, the ones who are the most supportive and yet they can get sick, have an accident or lose their life so quickly but the ones who are least deserving stay here and get to continuing living. I have lots of theories but I know that I may never know. It just often doesn't seem fair. It does however remind me that being in a hurry is not always the right answer, making the most money is not always the right answer, having an agenda doesn't always pay off, if we are not enjoying anything in the process. When we are kids we have no sense of time. We have all the time in the world to get the things done we need to or want to, as we age we gain more responsibilities and start to hurry- to rush through life really not paying attention along the way- and then we teach our kids to hurry- often times to a fault, hurry and get in, hurry and get dressed, hurry and eat, hurry and finish, HURRY, HURRY, HURRY! While hurrying did we enjoy anything that we just hurried for? Most of the time I would say the answer is no. I recently went on a short unexpected but much needed trip away from my son, husband and my immediate family. It allowed me to relax and reflect on what I do have and what I missed at home, making my return ever so sweet. Ever since my return I have tried to slow down, to appreciate what I have every day, not to have such demanding expectations of myself or my family. To "stop and smell the roses!" To appreciate what is handed to me on a daily basis and know some things are way beyond my control and allowing myself to control my thoughts, attitude and reactions is more important than trying to control circumstances that I cannot change. God, give me grace to accept with serenity the things that cannot be changed, Courage to change the things which should be changed, and the Wisdom to distinguish the one from the other. Living one day at a time, Enjoying one moment at a time,Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace, Taking, as Jesus did, This sinful world as it is, Not as I would have it, Trusting that You will make all things right, If I surrender to Your will, So that I may be reasonably happy in this life, And supremely happy with You forever in the next. Amen. Wake up this morning. Don't be in a hurry. Enjoy what you have as if it is the last time you will have it. Spend time with those you love, do not hurry them, enjoy what you have, enjoy what you do, life may be shorter than you think, for you or for someone you love. DON'T take it for granted that you or anyone else will be here tomorrow, to make up to, to enjoy, to appreciate or to forgive. “However, no one knows the day or hour when these things will happen, not even the angels in heaven or the Son himself. Only the Father knows" Matthew 24:36 NLT

No comments:

Post a Comment