Tuesday, April 28, 2020

Insta-NOT-so-me


I don't even know how long everyone has been telling me  how amazing ordering your groceries online and picking them up is! So many people saying if I try it I'll love it. So easy, so quick, less time... Painless.... I have always liked to go grocery shopping.. picking out the stuff I want, the brands I want, picking up the vegetables, checking out the firmness of my apple or the less firmness of my avocado- I was told they only pick out the best of the best, but I just couldn't let go of doing it myself, or going on my own so that I could pick up anything I may forgot, or ending up with something I don't want.
With this whole Covid situation, I finally after years decided that maybe I too should try it. I called a friend I consider an online pro shopper to ask how to begin. I need some things that I couldn't get at the local grocer, so I tried my hand at the Walmart app. I started my cart and added things throughout yesterday, picking the next morning as my pick up time so I wouldn't forget anything. It was relatively easy to add things to my cart and it updated my total each time. Of course they were out of things I wanted. I did feel like there were many things not even offered, that I can tell you I have seen in the Walmart the last few times I went to pick something up. And when I finalized my order it did say that the red onion showing available when I put it in my cart, showed no longer available, but until the morning that was it, then I got an email saying they didn't have 8 other things it allowed me to put in my cart the evening before... HMMM... ok.. 
With this whole situation, I really didn't want to spend more time in Walmart than necessary and I would say my average grocery shopping trip normally takes an hour of my day no matter when I go. I couldn't go to the local Safeway this time, where there seems to be a lot less people especially the earlier you go in the morning. I just needed some things this time I couldn't get there. Now was as good a time as any to find out what all the hype was about... 
Those items no longer available in my cart were given subsititutions, which I wasn't super happy about, especially the different scent of my husbands deoderant he has worn for years, or the coffee creamer random flavor they chose, veggies, no problem- to me a baby carrot is a baby carrot... and even some of the prices seemed higher then I remember them being when I was in the store physically the last few times, which okay they are doing it for me and providing me a service.. so acceptable. My app would not let me change or delete any items it substiuted, but it said I could refuse those items when I get there. 
I got the email this morning, click on the on my way button and followed the signs to the designated parking location... and pulled in a space, clicked on the app and it said no need to call we have your order ready... well awesome I thought, but how do they know who I am and what groceries are mine? I actually got anxiety sitting there, newbie, not knowing what I was doing or what to expect. So I sat there for awhile and then called my pro-shopper friend to ask what to do... she proceeded to have me refresh the app which then asked what space I was in and what color my vehicle was. 9, gray/charcoal. Within minutes the Walmart employee came out with my order, masked and ready to serve me. asked my name and was super friendly and pleasant! Great job at customer service, I said to him that I didn't want the deoderant, I had already made up my mind I would try a new creamer flavor... it wasn't carmel, which by the way I hate in my coffee- so I figured worth a shot. He ever so politely told me that they were not allowing any substition take-backs at this time and that he couldn't take any groceries back into the store he had brought out so I would have to just take them at this time. I ended up with $8 and two deoderants I didn't really want. Hmmm well that was wasteful. Once again reaching out to my friend who had me try to use the app to say that I didn't "like" the subsitution but a bold COVID disclaimer popped up that they are taking no returns at this time and they are sorry for the incovenience..It is what it is but not so happy over here to pay for something  I don't want because I have to. I already am hanging onto an extra bathing suit for Paxton because it was too small and they would not exchange or return it at Target so I had to purchase another one. I am so used to being able to return things I don't want and recoup money spent not necessary. 
SO to recap my online shopping experience... not so me. I don't really want to put my shopping in someone else's control if I don't have to.  I like to pick out my own things, touch the product, see what options I have in front of me, try new things on the shelves, pass over the products that are unavailable and put it on my list for another time or go somewhere else to get what I want. I am definitely happy that I had the experience to satisfy my curiosity, after all this time of friends, and family telling me how awesome it was,  but I think I will be doing my fair share of shopping on my own in the future. The anxiety of putting my shopping in someone else's hands is a lot more exhasting than the hour I spend in the store knowing I am walking away with only what I want. Control freak maybe... but definitely happier and more satisfying to my liking. 

No comments:

Post a Comment