Monday, March 14, 2011

who am I

Sometimes I think that I contemplate too many things and it is hard to make a decision. I second guess myself as I think we all do at times. My latest dilemma deals with my books and how I want the world to see me as an author.
I have contemplated how I should sign my books and it really took a lot of thinking and a good friend to help me see what the right thing would be, even though it might not be what she originally intended.
I remember as far back as 5th or 6th grade writing poetry, then short stories. I have always signed them Dani Rae. Growing up Danielle Rae Jen, only a few people referred to me in this way. I guess I felt maybe it distinguished me no maybe defined me as a writer? Nonetheless, I didn't want to hurt anyones feelings or have someone take it the wrong way now that I am now Dani Miller, I have not always been Dani Miller and that is not what defines me.
I asked a close friend who has known me as both. In a way I think she was trying to get me to see that it was okay to be Dani Rae, even if I struggled with it being too personal for a children's book. She said the books are inspired by your beautiful bay boy, so yes it is personal in a way, the artist in me wrote the book and my artist is danirae. Then it hit me, it was my beautiful baby boy that inspired me to write my children's series and I highly doubt I would be the mother of my beautiful baby boy, if I hadn't become Dani Miller and for that, that is who I am now.

No comments:

Post a Comment