Tuesday, January 25, 2022

Try Something New



Yesterday I woke up and while having my coffee started working on the computer to gather information for a few clients, look up some comps and houses and get started with my day. Never did I expect to see a puffy eyed little boy retreat from his room with tears streaming down his face, as he came toward me crying he exclaimed, mom I just had the best dream. The best dream? What you are crying? He had a dream that his dad was laying beside him and when he woke up he wasn't there. Gosh that hits my chest like a knife. I immediately comforted him and reassured him that his dad is always here. He is in the things we look at, he is in the things we do and he is inside of us. I told Paxton he came to visit to reassure Paxton he would be ok, we will make it through this adjustment and he will always be by our side no matter what lies ahead. 

Paxton and I made a pact a few weeks ago to start doing cardio together, PE if you will for home school. He has also decided that he wants to make better food choices which I knew he would eventually do, I was trying not to make a big deal of him gaining weight because he didn't need one more thing to worry about and consume his mind. If he is anything like his dad, it has to be his idea to work. I am so glad he recognized it. He also wanted to get back into boxing to be in better shape for baseball season which is approaching fast. We discussed and wrote down our goals and made our promises to one another, because we are in this together and need each other's support. 

After I did my work stuff and he finished his school assignments we had a mother son day. Boot Barn to use his gift card, Red Robin for lunch and then boxing. He did so good for not going for 2 months. I absolutely love his instructor. He is young and motivating for him and really knows how to praise when he does something correct! I really think that this is how Paxton responds the best and it is encouraging to watch how hard he tries and how much effort he puts into getting into the workout. We are back on track for Paxton to make this baseball season work for him. I think he was pumped from Sunday when both his coach and his hitting coach praised him for how strong he is. Sometimes it is the compliments that get us moving forward and continuing to do the things we enjoy. 

Which brings me to last night. First off I want to say that when you have been drinking you probably shouldn't promise things to others, but in this case I am so glad I did. Several weeks ago when I went out I promised my friend Michelle that I would take country dancing lessons with her. I had remembered I said that, but I wasn't quite sure why. I am probably one of the most uncoordinated people ever. Steve and Paxton make fun of the way I jump on the trampoline and please don't take an aerobics class with me, I am a mess trying to time and maneuver all of these steps and put them together, fast paced. UGH! 

But after last night I am thoroughly convinced, just like I have said my whole life about school, it has more to do with how you learn and who is teaching you.  When she mentioned it was country swing and not line dancing (I have lined danced a little in my day, a long time ago, but still) she wasn't sure if I would be ok with having the partner part. Bless her heart to think of me, but I decided why not, what did I have to loose, I am not looking to hook up with anyone, just learn how to dance, plus I was supporting her getting out of her comfort zone as well and that is what friends are for.  I could sit home and work, read or watch some Netflix or I could go and try to have a good time, it is what you make of it right? 

We got there and it is a huge ballroom, we were early and trying to decide if we take the beginner class and then the intermediate right after or just beginner. We both agreed to see how it went and go from there. I made sure with Paxton if we took both it was ok to be home a little later than I promised and he said he didn't care. I love that he supports his mom doing things! He is an amazing kid and well beyond his age. The butterflies in my stomach when they had everyone partner up, it was a weird feeling but I was determined to learn something new so I went with it. There were an odd number of men to women so some of us girls had to take turns. This was fine, I watched the instructor intently trying to figure out when it was my turn if I was going to crash into the partner or step on his toes... believe me all legit concerns, I constantly was looking at my feet trying to make sure I was mimicking the moves of the instructor, one guy showed up early for the next class and worked with me a little more than I was getting to figure out getting down some of the beginner two step. It was a little awkward, but I survived. 

I didn't really want to do the next class, I felt WAY out of my comfort zone, but I knew she would like to even though she insisted it was ok for us to leave (love you girl!), so I said I could just watch, a girl she knew came also and then we were all standing around waiting on the next class when a guy she knew didn't have a partner and grabbed my hand. I firmly believe he seriously was put there by God at that moment to put me into a comfort zone and allow me to learn outside the box. He explained the concept of music and timing (this I understood as I played instruments growing up)  and the steps in such a way that it made sense to me. I closed my eyes instead of looking at my feet, trusted him and followed his lead and by the time we left I think I had it down pat enough to want to go back. I was excited for accomplishing what I set out to do and excited that I learned it in a way that worked for my learning style. Not to say I may not have gotten it eventually with someone else leading, however, with the rate of the prior class to be honest I was ready to give up and watch, remember. The feeling I had when the class was over really will stay with me for awhile, and honestly can apply to other areas of my life, and business. Would I win a contest, probably not, but I had soooo much fun, because I allowed myself  to relax and let go and not think so much. 

I thanked him at the end for his gracious teaching style and putting up with my beginner instincts and told him that it reminded me of when Paxton's boxing instructor tells him to not think about the combinations and just do them. When Paxton allows them to be natural, he is much faster, accurate and doesn't mess up. When he thinks about them, he stumbles. That is exactly how I felt in that moment. 

Sometimes in life we think to much, we overthink, we worry, we fret, we make up things in our head that don't exist or will never happen, we put limits on ourselves for the things we can do and accomplish and it stands in our way not only of maybe doing or being something great, but it can cause us to be less happy. We don't always think, learn or do something the same way as everyone else, but when you can find your way you should go with it. You will never know your limits until you try and you will never succeed fully filled with doubt. Believe in yourself. Everyone in my business talks about having a word for the year. Mine this year would be CONFIDENCE.  Which will definitely be a topic for another blog. 

Go forth and enjoy your week, get out of your comfort zone, you never know what it will bring, try something new, help someone else learn something new. Just relax and enjoy life... because not everyday is Great, but you can find something great in everyday. 

Proverbs 27:17 ESV  

Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another.

No comments:

Post a Comment