Wednesday, February 23, 2022

One Piece at a Time


 Kudos to you people out there who practice self-care on a regular basis. Don’t get me wrong I get my nails done and I shower and brush my teeth regularly. Oh, and I did start taking the dance class on Mondays.  But when it comes to things like massages, pedicures. girls weekends and even some thing as simple as a bath you can do in the comfort of your own home, which I think I’ve taken one time in the last year eight years I’ve lived in my house, I just don't practice anything on a regular basis. Due to the nature of my busybody lifestyle, my multiple activities as well as the amount of work it takes to live where I do and the amount of driving around to and from appointments and practices and meetings etc. and my constant need to take care of everyone else first I don’t even wash my face regularly. I lack a solid routine and I really just most days go with the flow due to my career not necessarily being routine. But even though I go with the flow I can also be somewhat of a control freak and like to plan and get things done... yes, I know it sounds confusing... welcome to my life.                                                  

Over the past weekend I was determined to get all the rest of my tile ripped out of my house, which I successfully did except a few pieces here and there that just wouldn't budge and I will wait on my friend who is laying the tile to finish those few areas. After doing the tile and riding on Sunday night then taking our swing dance class on Monday where we learned this new routine I was pretty exhausted. Picture this twisting yourself down to the ground in a succession of 3 half turns until your butt touches the back of your boot heels and then turning a half turn to swirl your way back up to a standing position in 2 turns as the guy walks around the back of you at the same time and you end up facing each other again.  I could get down but it was a hell of a time to get back up. My knee just was not having it. The 30 year old kid I was dancing with was a trooper and we had a lot of fun, I never fell once and I was able to walk the next day. So seems like win to me, plus dancing is a lot of fun it relieves any tension or stress I have that day and I get wrapped up in the moves instead of the sometimes overwhelming thoughts in my head.   

Yesterday I was determined to get as much of this scrap tile out of my house as possible, the sooner I get it out the sooner the floor can start being laid. (even though I was told it would get done, I sometimes just like to help it along because well I can) ( I just took a personality profile test for a class I am hosting next week at my office and surprise my strongest personality trait is a "helper".) I know there are several steps in between to prepare the floor for new tile, but whatever I can help do to speed up the process seems like a great plan to me. If there is a will there is a way my mom always told me.  I have told you I am strong-willed and when I really want something I seem to lose all sense of patience and want it as soon as possible. I ended up twisting my knee on one of the trips out to the dumpster. I decided to stop for the night laying in bed watching a movie and fell asleep at 8 o’clock. LOL, apparently my 42 year old body had enough of me pushing it for the last 5 days. 


Today I took Paxton to Globe so he could help butcher/cut up his pigs with "other Steve." He decided to spend the night so I tried to take advantage and practice a little self-care. That big huge bathtub, the large garden tub that came with my house 8 years ago that may have given Paxton a years worth of baths from ages 5 to 6 and has since just has been a dust collector that I cannot wait to remove and put in a huge fancy tile shower, somehow tonight the tub called my name. 


I never really have taken the time to take baths. I feel like it is time consuming from preparing for the bath, actually taking the bath, being able to withhold distractions to actually enjoy the bath and then take a shower after the bath to clean off the fact that I just sat in my own dirt for 30+ minutes... the time adds up and not only have I never felt I had the time, I always felt there were more important things to do, and honestly sitting still for too long is not one of my strengths. 


My cleaning lady just cleaned it yesterday so no need to clean it first to take a bath, (definitely one step ahead) so what better time to fill it full of bath salts and bubbles, light some candles pour a glass of my favorite wine and listen to Norah Jones. I am really loving this Alexa thing.... I unplugged her from my kitchen and took her into the bathroom with me, she plays whatever you want, it is amazing. I might need to buy another one. 


I was completely relaxed, the tranquil feeling of just letting go, not worrying about a thing and resting my already racing mind that tends to overthink and be one step ahead on a daily basis was truly good for my soul. The heat of the water against my skin and aching muscles, the fragrant smell of the lavender bubbles, the flickering glow of the candles and the soothing sounds of Norah's voice with absolutely no other distractions around reminded me how important it is to actually take the time to take care of ourselves.

 

Doing this tile project is really messing with my OCD of keeping a clean tidy house, but I figure even though I have furniture in disarray, living with my living room furniture in my bedroom,  eating at my kitchen table in my living room and piles of tile in random locations throughout, as long as I can still make my bed everyday I am going to choose to let it go. The end result is going to be amazing I can feel it and I am going to sit back and enjoy the journey, not try to rush the end result and take a little more time for myself when I have the opportunity. 


Remember you can apply this to your life. When you take the best care of yourself, you are not being selfish, you are doing what you need to so you can most definitely take the best care of others, because your mind is in a better place. Sometimes our life comes together one piece at a time. Life is short but somehow slowing down makes sense. We can definitely rush through and miss the best things along the way. Don't miss your opportunity to enjoy your journey. 


I am not sure I am completely convinced that I will not take out my tub and replace it with a big huge shower eventually, but I do think I will invest in one of those little bath pillows and learn to enjoy the tub while it is still here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment