Monday, August 29, 2022

Give Him the Reins and Watch Him Thrive

  


 

Paxton has been wanting to sign up for the Jr. Bassmasters for months now since our buddy Rob told him about it and we checked into all the requirements and he couldn’t wait until August, for sign-ups. Counting down the days we attended our first meeting last week at Cabela’s in Glendale, where he got to find out more about the organization and its rules and purpose. To be able to qualify for the big tournaments that will happen in California and Wisconsin next year, he would have to have a team member who was high school aged to compete with. He could do a draw where he got a different boat captain and a different partner every time, but the junior division is much different than the high school one and from experience I can tell you that would not satisfy his need for competition.

We have been communicating with this family back and forth getting ready for sign-ups for a little over a month now. He is a freshman; his grandpa had a boat, and his dad was willing to be the boat captain. Thank goodness. We have a perfectly capable boat, that I have backed down, driven the truck and trailer to park, and even drove around the lake a little bit. I have never launched a boat on the water or returned it to the trailer when we where done, it was second nature to Steve and why would I have ever thought I had to do it by myself, so I never asked him to show me how and I am sure he never offered to avoid the frustration of teaching me something he could so easily do himself. Believe me there are a lot of things I wished I had him show me or teach me if I would have known life would turn out this way. But I didn’t so I am willing to learn when needed, but I also wasn’t confident enough to be boat captain unless absolutely necessary. Plus, I didn’t know if Paxton and I would butt heads on the water, I am definitely not Steve.

This family didn’t end up coming to the meeting they watched the live version online. For those of you who don’t know our area, Glendale is just about 1.5 hours from our home depending on traffic. We made the trek over there, had some dinner with friends who live on that side of town first which made the trip even more worth it. We decided by text that the boys would fish the 8 tournaments to get them to qualify, the other boy would miss the very first tournament, but Paxton could still fish it with a boat captain and an observer (there always must be 3 people to a boat) to qualify for points on his own. We planned to get the boys together to meet and do a little urban fishing or even meet for ice cream.

Yesterday morning after I signed Paxton up, got his Youth Bass # and paid all the entry fees for the season, the family reached out to let us know that after careful consideration they could not commit to the all-in 8 tournament season. I was devastated for Paxton knowing that the sparkle in his eyes as his face lit up on Thursday night at the meeting with the thought of getting a fishing jersey full of sponsors to wear and the possibility of going to fish a lake in the Midwest next summer was the happiest, I have seen him in over a year.

My mama instincts immediately wanted to “fix it” before I even told him what was going on. I knew that if I mentioned him only fishing the 4 tournaments the other boy was willing to commit to, he would be super disappointed and let me tell you this week, I just couldn’t handle that. Yesterday when all this was going on he had stayed the night at his aunts, I was home by myself, and it was 29 years since I lost my dad when I was a freshman in high school. We were 6 days away from the one year losing Steve and I just wanted something to be happy about and not something even more disappointing.

I asked the guy in charge of the organization if they knew anyone needing a partner, I looked on the angler’s website, I asked Rob, who tried hooking up these boys originally if he knew any other boys looking for teammates. I reached out to a dad on Facebook who was previously looking for his son. We communicated back and forth some, but they were in the middle of a move, and we would have to connect more later. I finally let Paxton know what was going on. He seemed disappointed but was determined enough to make it happen that he devised his own plan. For this I was super proud of him. I tried to fix something that I didn’t need to. He took the reins just as if he were a top his horse Hope and steered in the direction he wanted to go. His heart and passion are into fishing, and I couldn’t be more grateful that he has this passion. Something his dad taught him that he can take what he has learned and turned it into something promising and great. A bond that they still have but one that is filled with positive energy and enjoyment. I couldn’t tell you why it is any different than baseball, but it just is. I could speculate why but when asked he just couldn’t pinpoint the differences for me and that is ok. Sometimes it is just a feeling.  We didn’t ask for this hand we were dealt but we can let our feelings and intuitions guide us to adapt to moving forward.

We can provide the boat, so within a few hours he had not only arranged his own boat captain, his uncle Mike, but convinced his best friend’s grandpa to let Aidan sign up to fish with him, he is a freshman and so therefore they qualify to fish the high school circuit. I couldn’t be prouder of him for organizing his own arrangements, planning to get his boat fixed and already plotting and planning how to get the boat to his uncles the night before, looking forward to studying the lakes to find the good fishing spots and staying the night so they could leave first thing in the morning to get to the lakes and fish their hearts out.

Was I worried that it wouldn’t all work out, you bet I was, was I determined to figure something out for him… this mama hates to see her little hurting and wanted to find the solution and find it fast. Did I need to worry at all? Obviously not, he stepped in and had it under control in his own way on his own terms and it worked out the way it was supposed to. Like Mike said, how can you say no to this boy! He is just like his dad who could most always convince someone something was a good idea, just by the way he presented it. So, there is a positive trait of Steve’s that I am grateful that Paxton received, now to just let him run with his ideas and stop trying to fix and control everything. It isn’t always necessary. I have faith he is going to turn out to be a fine young man and I can’t wait to see where his journey takes him.

One year ago, today was a Sunday and we went out to celebrate my niece’s birthday without Steve, something that he never missed in her 16 years of life. They had a special bond the two of them, I don’t know if I could even describe it. We went out to dinner and ice cream while he laid in a hospital bed not even able to wish her a happy birthday. In the car on the way home Cami called to say that her and Trent had gone to the hospital to the window to see Steve and they would be there to support us if we wanted to join them. At first, I didn’t think we did, then Paxton decided that he wanted to go. We had not gone up to that point per Steve’s request when he was awake that he did not want to see us for fear that he would start crying and he already was having a hard time breathing. After he went on the ventilator, I couldn’t bring myself to go look at his still body trying to sleep and heal itself without the thought of me falling apart. We went to meet them, and I will be forever grateful for this picture that Cami captured. It is priceless and shows just how vulnerable one can be in the uncertainty of time.   He was apprehensive at first to want to look at his dad laying there looking lifeless in the bed, but he eventually made his way to the middle of the window. And I know that this is something that he had to experience at the time to help him realize the extent of his dad’s illness and come to terms when he was not able to come home like any of us wanted, planned, hoped, or dreamed over the last month. 

As a society we love to the plan and be prepared for the things in our future but sometimes that is not how it’s supposed to turn out. And the more easily adaptable we are to the interruptions, curves, and changes in our situation the more positive and productive our lives can move forward more smoothly. Some of our greatest moments and strongest accomplishments are not even planned. I know I’ve repetitively said “just go with it” a lot lately and sometimes that’s the best that we can do. I truly believe that our ultimate destination is Heaven this life is not a destination it is a journey with all its ups and downs, and it is our choice to make the most of them as they come. 

As we approach the 3rd, I want to think that I am going to make the most of this week I’m going to refocus my thoughts on the good memories when my heart gets sad, I’m going to have as much patience as I possibly can with Paxton and his emotions as well as with myself and my own. I asked God for these things because I don’t want this to be a totally negative week. I know sometimes emotions come no matter what you do and avoiding them completely doesn’t help either, so we will deal with them as they come. 

 As Paxton was getting ready for school this morning, I reiterated that he needed to focus on catching up on all his work from a couple days he was sick last week to make sure that he kept his grades up and that this will be a successful year for him. He let me know that this was going to be hard enough week for him as it was and to get through it, he needed me not to pick on him. As parents I think that we often display our concerns in a nagging way because we know how important the end results are in most cases because we have been there. But we need to put ourselves back in our children’s shoes especially these days with all the pressures and expectations that seem to play heavy on their hearts. So, what I’m going to do is to be there for him, open up my communication even more, be willing to alter our plans as needed, and stay a good, firm parent filled with as much grace and mercy as I possibly can give out. 


As I reflect on 29 years ago when my father passed away (who could have not even imagined my child would lose his dad 28 years after I lost mine, almost to the day). 

I commend my mom for being able to handle her grief and mine and still balance her responsibilities and grasp for her happiness without completely falling apart. I can only pray that I will do a good enough job with this as well. She was always the one who I went to when I was sad or hurting and when I had any exciting news to share, although she is no longer here to be my go-to person, she is still at the top of my list to talk to when I need to she just cannot talk back. But I choose to look deep within my heart and find her comforting me like she always had with words and reassurances I previously remember her using and ones I like to now use to comfort and calm my child. 

As far as the fishing is concerned, I don’t think that we could have planned the outcome more perfectly than how it came together and that will probably be one of my most grateful moments to remember this week. 

"When life gives you a chance, take it. Don't be afraid to make a mistake. Never give up, no matter how much faith you've lost. Life is full of surprises."

2 comments: