Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Day 48 of 365

I came across a quote this morning while I was researching some stuff about change for my office meeting.. it is a rendition of a famous quote I am sure we have all heard in some form or another...
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Living one day at a time;
Enjoying one moment at a time;
Accepting hardships as the pathway to peace;
Taking, as He did, this sinful world
as it is, not as I would have it;
Trusting that He will make all things right
if I surrender to His Will;
That I may be reasonably happy in this life
and supremely happy with Him
Forever in the next.
Amen.

So today quote surfing I read this rendetion by an unknown author

-God grant me the serenity to accept the people I cannot change, the courage to change the one I can, and the wisdom to know it is me.

I never heard that before, but I realy like it. The only person we can really change is ourself. We can surely be a good example to others and pray for them, but we cannot truly change others, they change because they want to change, not because we change them.
It is truly amazing to me how many of us get into a relationship accepting of the person going in but the minute they won't change, or they change in a way that isn't aligned with our thoughts and ideas, we are looking for some sort of out.
Celebrate diversity, learn to embrace it, make change a part of you, accept the change of others. I am not suggesting that if someone changes for the worst that you shouldn't remove yourself from harm or negativity, I am just saying don't go in thinking that everything will be fine when you "change" that person, because that person may not want to change in the way that you need or expect them to to align with your wants and needs.
It is the same in a business, people have to want to change and align themselves with the ever changing day and age and industry, embrace the changes. Are changes always good, no, but those who refuse to change will be left in the dust when those others embrace it and bigger and often better things begin to unfold.

I read this article posted regarding 100 years ago....
http://storiesfortrainers.com/100yearsago.aspx
check it out... some thing from 100 years ago, you can't imagine still "being" unless there was change... With change brought good and bad, mistakes were made, things were discovered, however.... without change, whether a failure or success, we would not be the world we are today.
Is it a better world? or just more advanced? Healthier? Or more troubled?
It just depends on how you look at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment